"Why in the world did you pick this name for your blog?" ...so glad you asked...

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Patterns Out My Ears - pt. 2

Second installment today of the wardrobe evolution of Sara.



It's strange thinking about and perusing fabrics to create these clothing pieces.  I feel like my fashion sense is still developing. My best friend in college really helped me start thinking about style and I'm still trying (at 30) to build a wardrobe of things that I really LOVE and not just things that are ok and fit.  I want to have stylish options in a varied color palette.  I want comfort without sacrificing looking smart and put together.  I want some fun pieces and some conservative classics to ground everything.
A few of my favorite places to browse are Anthropologie, Ann Taylor and online, Shabby Apple.  I can't afford to shop at any of these places regularly and it's been difficult to think about just buying one piece every once in a while that meets the goal and fits the vision of the whole wardrobe.  it's easier to see something at Target and think it's cute and see it's $15 and just grab it.

Ok, sidetracked... What I'm intending to get to, is that the fabric choices I make for these tops, dresses and pants are very important.  I'm used to just picking whatever quilting cotton I think is cute for Eden or Arielle.  I'm going to have to branch out in fabric type as well as pattern.   I'm going back to my inspiration stores to re-educate myself in fabric choice.  I'm not going have a closet full of quilting cotton.

Alright, on to the next pattern and my vision for it.  This is the Liseete Passport Dress and Jacket.

I don't really see the jacket and the dress being worn together. I prefer a cardigan with a dress, personally. This dress could just look very plain and tailored or the vintage feel to the pattern could really be played up. Those darts could get lost in a busy print, so I'd love to do a solid color fabric or something that reads solid from a short distance. View A is all one fabric and View B is two different prints for top and bottom. I'm undecided. I'd like to do both, but first I might just pick one of Amy Butler's beautiful solids, let the design speak for itself and embellish with accessories.

I've already got a nice staple khaki jacket from Ann Taylor in my closet, so I don't have another idea for this one right now. I don't think this jacket is lined either, so it's puzzling me what type of fabric it would be ok to see the back side of if I left the jacket open.  This piece will probably be put on the back burner until I discover a need for it.

Part 3 tomorrow!

S

No comments:

Post a Comment